You’re looking for temporary coverage between Obamacare plans, and short term health insurance provides it. But you can’t buy these plans through HealthCare.gov or a state exchange, so how do you buy temporary health insurance and which companies are trustworthy?
In this article, we will look at the three main places to buy short term health insurance and help you decide which health insurance company or provider can best meet your needs. Or, get started right away with a short term quote now to see plan options available in your state.
Who sells short term plans?
Where you buy ultimately depends on your needs and comfort level working with different short term health plan providers and sources.
Three common sources for buying temporary health insurance include:
- Private exchanges such as Health eDeals – Online storefronts where you can shop for a variety of health insurance plans (major medical, supplemental and/or alternative coverage) offered by multiple companies; private exchanges are not the same as government-run exchanges (HealthCare.gov and state-based marketplaces)
- Health insurance producers – Individuals, including licensed agents and brokers, who sell health benefits plans either exclusively for one company or for many
- Specific health insurance carriers – Companies that exclusively sell their own health insurance plans
See the table below for a quick comparison, and continue reading for more details.
Compare Different Places to Get Short Term Medical Insurance
✓ = Yes | X = Unlikely | ? = Maybe
|What They Offer||Private Exchanges||Health Insurance Producer||Specific Health Insurance Carrier|
|Several Plan Designs||✓||✓||✓|
|Shop online 24/7||✓||X||✓|
|Plan Option for Pre-Existing Conditions||✓||?||X|
Now let’s talk more in-depth about the benefits of buying temporary health insurance plans from different sources and how to find them.
Health eDeals (and other private exchange websites)
If you prefer to gather information and shop on your own, anytime day or night, you can do so through websites such as healthedeals.com. These sites typically provide free quotes for multiple plan options available where you live.
Begin the process of comparing plans now by getting a short term medical quote.
When buying temporary health insurance at Health eDeals, you can begin the quote-and-enrollment process online and call the number on your screen to speak with a certified health insurance advisor, ask questions and get assistance with your application.
What Health eDeals can offer you:
- Access personal service from certified advisors
- Quote and compare multiple carrier and plan designs to determine which strikes the right balance between your healthcare needs and what you consider to be affordable coverage
- Apply and enroll online 24/7, all year long
- Get next-day coverage
- Choose from multiple plan options, including some with preventive care benefits and some with benefits for those who have pre-existing conditions (not available in all states)
- Additional health benefits plan options, including dental, supplemental and hospital plans
- Bundle short term health insurance with hospital coverage, a prescription drug savings card and other products to help pay for healthcare expenses
Is Health eDeals a brand I can trust?
Health eDeals is an award-winning private health insurance exchange and a division of IHC Specialty Benefits (a member company of The IHC Group). Each health insurance carrier that sells short term health insurance through Health eDeals has a financial strength rating of A- (Excellent) from A.M. Best, Company, Inc.
Licensed health insurance producers
A licensed health insurance producer (e.g., agent, broker, advisor) can introduce you to a range of options. These individuals understand the market and have worked with individuals in a variety of situations. They can answer your questions, help you find plans that meet your needs, and assist you in navigating the temporary health insurance buying process.
What a producer can offer you:
- Quote and compare multiple carrier and plan designs
- Find ACA plan options if you need major medical insurance instead
- Determine whether or not you qualify for a special enrollment period in which you can purchase an Obamacare plan outside the annual open enrollment period
- Apply for Obamacare subsidies
- Access personal service
- Learn about additional coverage options to help round out your benefits, including dental, supplemental and hospital plans
Where to find a producer you can trust
There are many ways to find a health insurance producer, including a simple google search. However, to vet your options a bit further, you may want to rely on referrals from family and friends, call the number on your screen, or use Agent Finder to locate someone in your area.
Individual health insurance companies
You may already have a preferred health insurance company, possibly one you’ve purchased coverage from in the past. Many major medical carriers sell short term plans as well. Visit the company website or call their customer service number to learn more. Though you may still want to consider shopping around to compare a few short term options.
What a health insurance company can offer you:
- Find short term health insurance from a company you already have a relationship with
- Shop online 24/7, all year long
- Access personal service
- Quote and compare multiple plan designs
How to find the best insurance company
As with finding a producer to work with, you may want to rely on referrals. Another option would be to investigate temporary health insurance plans through a company you’ve purchased from in the past.
How do I choose the best short term plan?
Not all temporary health insurance is the same. Depending on your healthcare needs and financial situation, you may want a plan with a monthly premium you find affordable or a more expensive plan that includes higher coverage levels.
Learn more about how to find the right temporary health insurance plan for you.
Get a quick short term quote and compare plans on your own right now!
Call the number on your screen to speak with a certified advisor and get help with plan selection.
Discuss your options with a short term insurance agent near you.